With the indulgences of Christmas over and everyone ready for a fresh start to 2016, a lot of New Year’s resolutions are being made across the country and for some people, that means going Vegan for the whole month of January. Veganuary, as it’s cleverly called, aims to reduce the suffering of animals, harm to the environment and help people to be healthier – pretty good aims we’d say.
The benefits of being vegan – even if just for one day a week- to you and our planet are huge (and some of the recipes are seriously yummy!). All our products here at nom are vegan and we are super proud to be Vegan Society certified. Even our protein bar is vegan, made using pea protein instead of whey!
Our top 8 benefits of following a vegan diet
- The diet is naturally lower in saturated fats and high in fibre helping to keep your heart and digestive system happy.
- Studies have shown that people who follow a vegan diet have lower blood pressure than those who eat animal products.
- Generally, vegans are slimmer than people who eat meat – some studies have shown figures of between 5-20% slimmer.
- Research has shown that vegans had a lower risk of developing cancer and type 2 diabetes. Two very good reasons to try a vegan lifestyle if I ever saw them!
- It can be cheaper! Buying meat can be very expensive, so swopping to lentils, beans and pulses for meals can really save the pounds.
- It is getting easier! Not only are there an abundance of fresh fruit and veg easily available nowadays and some incredible recipes for using them in, there are also some really tasty meat-free alternatives available.
- It is reported that the livestock industry is responsible for 18% of global greenhouse gas emissions. If more people follow a vegan diet, this number could reduce and help protect the planet from global warming.
- It helps stop animal cruelty. Many of the animals that are slaughtered for food are kept in cramped, unnatural conditions. Less meat = Less animal cruelty.
Need a quick vegan snack? Check out our certified vegan ranges on our website here http://www.nomfoods.co.uk/shop/