Baked beans – a great source of protein, filling, delicious for any meal or a snack. Sadly, most shop-bought baked beans are full of preservatives, sugar and salt. These ones are DELICIOUS and only take 10 minutes to make.
Here’s our recipe for healthy baked beans – they taste amazingly good, but without the guilt! If you can make this with organic beans and tomatoes, even better.
1 can of cannellini or haricot beans (the only difference is the size, cannellini are bigger)
3 tablespoons of chopped tomatoes
1 teaspoon of tomato puree
1/2 a clove of garlic
1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons of date syrup
Himalayan pink salt and pepper, to taste
- Crush the garlic into the bottom of the pan and put the heat on low.
- Drain the water and empty the can of beans into the pan.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and the tomato puree and keep stirring as it comes to a simmer.
- Add in the cider vinegar and the date syrup – salt and pepper.
- Keep simmering for about 5 minutes, or until the sauce becomes thicker and darker.