With winter on its way and the Great British Bake Off on the TV, it seems like a good time for baking. We’ve been loving this healthy take on Lemon Drizzle cake, which we invented last week! It’s refined sugar free, dairy free and very delicious.
170g coconut oil
180g coconut palm sugar
3 eggs (or vegan egg replacement), beaten
180g spelt flour (or gluten free alternative)
1 tsp baking powder
2 unwaxed lemons
4 table spoons palm sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Beat the coconut oil with the palm sugar, gradually adding the egg.
- Sieve in the flour and baking powder and beat again adding the finely grated zest of both lemons.
- Pour into a tin, lined with parchment paper (we used a square 22cm tin). Bake in a preheated oven for 20 mins until a skewer inserted into the thickest part comes out clean.
- Put the 4 tablespoons of palm sugar in a pan with the juice of 2 lemons and bring to the boil – simmer on low until it looks like a syrup.
- When the cake is cooked – remove from the oven, skewer some holes and pour over the syrup.