Steph here. If you’re reading this, you’ve seen nom’s brand new website – complete with shop – something we’ve been working on for a while. Really hope you like it.
I wanted to kick things off with the story of how nom came to be. It has been the most interesting / challenging / wonderful / rollercoaster ride! Every day is different here at nom HQ. So here’s an overview;
- January 2008 – I was at Bristol University studying Sociology, when I suddenly and unexpectedly developed severe allergies. I had to get my head around a whole new way of cooking and eating. I became fascinated with diet and nutrition and started spending lots of time (and money) in places like Whole Foods – researching the free-from and health foods market.
- July 2012 – I left my A-Level teaching job and decided to follow my dream into health foods. I knew there was a gap in the market for products which combined health, convenience and taste (a rare find). I started experimenting with recipes in the kitchen at home – and roped friends and family in as taste testers.
- July 2013 – nom bars hit the shelves! At this point, nom bars were still being made, wrapped, stickered, boxed and delivered by hand! The bars launched into some lovely independent health stores, cafes, delis, gyms and were in Planet Organic in Whole Foods by the end of 2013.
- June 2014 – nom protein bars launched. The market was in need of some tasty vegan protein bars (whey protein wasn’t an option for us, as we are dairy-free). Using the same base as the other bars (oats, oat bran, coconut oil, etc) and with the extremely healthy and e
asily digested addition of pea protein, we launched a yummy protein delight, popular with yogis, athletes, gym-goers and runners everywhere!
- February 2015 – Nom Foods is chosen as one of the Government’s 50 Food Stars! There was a brilliant day of talks and and evening reception at Downing Street – where some of the UK’s best brands were celebrated. What an honour.
- May 2015 – Nom Foods launched an extremely successful Crowd Funding campaign. We raised our target (and more!) through 142 spectacularly lovely (and wise) investors. These investors secured themselves a stake in a fast-growing and innovative business. They will always be a big part of nom foods’ story and I hope they’re enjoying watching the brand evolve. This investment has and is allowing nom to do some brilliant things, including; scale up production, supply in larger volume, attend brilliant trade and consumer shows, and launch new products (stay tuned).
- August 2015 – nom popcorn launched. The only branded popcorn to be organic and popped in coconut oil (and without refined sugars, dairy or gluten – all the ticks.) The popcorn was an instant hit and is stocked with hotel chains, supermarkets and health stores all over.
- December 2015 – new website. As well as this news & blog section, we now have a web shop, so we can sell directly to our lovely customers and offer special promos and discounts.So here we are! I missed out some of the nitty gritty; the challenges, the brilliant listings, the growing of team nom and all of the other awards we’ve won (check out the awards tab in this section if you’re interested).Thank you to all of our suppliers, customers, nombassadors and investors who have all been such a big part of the story so far. We are very excited about a pheNOMenal 2016, and beyond.